- 1/4 cup chili-garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 1/4 pounds yams (red-skinned sweet potatoes; about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 20 1 1/2-inch cubes boneless led of lamb (about 2 pounds)
- 4 metal skewers or wooden skewers soaked in water 1 hour
Stir first 5 ingredients in bowl to blend. Pierce yams with fork. Microwave on high until tender, about 12 minutes, turning once. Cut yams lengthwise in half; scoop flesh into microwave-safe bowl. Add butter; mash. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil; place rack on sheet. Transfer 1/2 cup tamarind glaze to large bowl. Add lamb; stir to coat. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Thread 5 pieces of lamb onto each of 4 skewers. Sprinkle with salt. Brush with some of remaining glaze. Broil lamb to desired doneness, occasionally brushing with glaze, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Rewarm yams in microwave, about 2 minutes. Divide yams among 4 plates; top yams with lamb skewers.