- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup medium-fine polenta or organic cornmeal (such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (packed) finely grated orange peel
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
- Vanilla-Scented Plums and Blackberries
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan. Dust pan with flour; tap out excess. Whisk 1 1/4 cups flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, and orange peel in large bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with yogurt in 2 additions, beating just until blended after each addition. Spread batter evenly in pan.
Bake cake until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool in pan 15 minutes. Run knife around cake edges to loosen. Invert cake onto rack, then invert again on rack (top side up). Cool completely. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap in plastic and store at room temperature.
Cut cake crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; serve with Vanilla-Scented Plums and Blackberries and Buttermilk Ice Cream.