This high-summer salad hits every note on the sweet (red pepper), sour (tomato), salty (ricotta and anchovy), and bitter (olive) scale.
- 4 red bell peppers, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves, divided
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup pitted small black and/or green olives
Preheat oven to 375°. Place bell peppers, skin side down, in a shallow baking dish and top with anchovies and garlic. Tear ¼ cup basil leaves over top, season with kosher salt and black pepper, and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. oil. Bake until peppers are tender but still hold their shape and are slightly charred around edges, 35–45 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, blend remaining ¾ cup basil and remaining ⅓ cup oil in a blender until smooth; season basil oil with kosher salt and black pepper.
Arrange bell peppers on a platter. Top with tomatoes, ricotta, olives, and more basil, then drizzle with basil oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.