Both bright from the fresh limes and buttery from the diced avocados, this sauce adds color and flavor to broiled fish, roast chicken, or huevos rancheros. For more heat, leave in the jalapeño seeds.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium avocado, pitted, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine oil, avocado, jalapeño, garlic, and shallot in a medium bowl. Squeeze limes into avocado mixture. Using a spoon, scrape pulp out of limes into mixture. Stir to combine. DO AHEAD: Sauce can be made 4 days ahead. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto surface of sauce. Cover and chill. Bring sauce to room temperature before continuing.
Stir basil and cilantro into sauce just before serving. Season with salt and pepper.