For the best play between sweet, hot, and salty ingredients, look for spiky arugula, labeled “rocket” or “rucola,” at the farmers’ market. It’s much more peppery and sturdy than what you’ll find at the supermarket. For an over-the-top dinner menu, serve this salad with Romano bean salad, paccheri with shellfish, grilled red mullet, grilled bistecca, and brioche au rhum. We said over-the-top.
- 16 Italian plums, halved, or 8 small plums, quartered
- ⅓ cup cocktail onions, halved,layers separated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 oz. arugula (about 5 cups)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 3 oz. Parmesan, thinly sliced
Toss plums, cocktail onions, lemon juice, and 2 Tbsp. oil in a large bowl. Add arugula, season with salt and pepper, and toss again. Transfer to a platter; top with Parmesan and drizzle with more oil.