- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, halved
- 4 cups 1-inch cubes peeled red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams; about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 5 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups 1-inch cubes French bread with crusts (from 1-pound loaf)
- 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss mushrooms and oil in medium bowl to coat; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn mushrooms out onto baking sheet and roast until golden, about 20 minutes; transfer to large bowl. Cook potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain potatoes; add to mushrooms.
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add red onion and next 4 ingredients. Sauté 8 minutes. Add green onions; sauté 2 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Add mixture to mushrooms. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Reheat to lukewarm before continuing.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix bread into vegetable mixture. Whisk juice, milk, and broth in medium bowl to blend; mix into stuffing. Season stuffing with salt and pepper; stir in eggs. Transfer to prepared dish. Bake uncovered until cooked through and brown, about 50 minutes.