- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsley chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9 1/4x5 1/4x3-inch loaf pan. Line bottom and 2 long sides with waxed paper. Whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until blended. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in pumpkin, then vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions each. Fold in cranberries and nuts. Transfer batter to pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool bread in pan on rack 15 minutes. Cut around bread at short ends to loosen from pan. Turn bread out onto rack; peel off waxed paper. Cool bread completely. DO AHEAD:Can be made 2 days ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.