Whether you prefer the buttery richness of classic party mix or you’re on the sugarcoated puppy chow team, this recipe has you covered. Sweet from honey, savory from miso and nutritional yeast, and a touch spicy from chili powder—it’s the perfect crowd-pleasing snack. When choosing crackers, nuts, and cereal for the mix, be sure to keep texture in mind. Look for ingredients with lots of nooks and crannies, which will give the seasoning plenty of places to cling to. The rough texture of pecans, walnuts, broken rice cakes, sesame sticks, and Chex cereal were some of our favorites.
- 4 cups assorted crackers, broken into bite-size pieces if large (such as sesame sticks, rice cakes, and/or rice crackers)
- 2 cups assorted crispy cereal (such as Rice Chex and/or Multi-Bran Chex)
- 2 cups assorted raw nuts (such as pecans and/or walnuts)
- ½ cup ghee or unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal or 1½ tsp. Morton kosher salt
- 2 tsp. Kashmiri chili powder, gochugaru, or mild crushed red pepper flakes, such as Aleppo-style
Place a rack in center of oven; preheat to 300°. Toss crackers, cereal, and nuts in a large bowl to combine.
Melt ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in garlic, honey, and miso and cook, whisking occasionally, until just beginning to bubble around the edges, about 1 minute. Pour dressing over cereal mixture and toss with a flexible rubber spatula to coat. Sprinkle sesame seeds over and toss again to combine.
Transfer party mix to a large parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake, tossing twice, until toasty and golden in color, 40–45 minutes. (The mix will feel soft out of the oven but will get crispier as it cools.)
Meanwhile, grind nutritional yeast, salt, and chili powder in spice mill or with mortar and pestle to a fine powder.
While still hot, transfer party mix to a large bowl. While tossing, sprinkle spice mix over and continue to toss until evenly coated. (If you try to season the mix on the baking sheet, you’ll lose most of the spices to the sticky bottom.) Remove liner from baking sheet. Return party mix to unlined baking sheet and let cool completely.
Do Ahead: Party mix can be made 1 month ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.