The smoky flavor of the fire-roasted tomatoes fits in here, but regular tomatoes would be good, too. This goes great with our beer-braised brisket.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, chopped, plus 1 tsp. adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon robust-flavored (dark) molasses
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and golden brown around the edges, 8–10 minutes.
Add chipotle chile, adobo sauce, and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until they are slightly darkened, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook, stirring, until liquid is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Let cool slightly, then transfer to a blender. Add vinegar and molasses and blend until smooth; taste, and season with salt and pepper.
DO AHEAD: Salsa can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.